Nature Field Guiding NQF Level 2
Timm Blue Conservation helps you with your first steps into the world of guiding with an extensive and exciting nature field guide training programme, which is directly accredited with CATHSSETA!
The 10-week course consists of two unit standards:
- 8478 − Creating a guided experience for customers
- 8440 − Conduct a guided nature experience in a limited geographical area
The objective of the course is to allow each student to become familiar with the prominent plants and animals in the area, and be confident in their knowledge, so that they can provide informed and entertaining commentary on the environment and significantly enhance the tourist experience.
For the Nature Field Site Guide students, experiencing life in the bush at our various training camp sites located in the surrounding safari parks gives a real insight to the day to day life of a guide. From gaining communication skills, and how to interact with your guests to interpreting behaviour during your sightings.
The theoretical component of the Professional Nature Field Guide Training is presented in the classroom at Triton Dive Lodge, in Sodwana Bay.
Practical training is conducted in nature reserves that surround Sodwana, including The iSimangaliso Wetlands Park, Mkuze Game Reserve and Tembe Elephant Park.
It covers the identification and understanding of the behavior of a wide range of animals, including birds, reptiles, amphibians and arthropods. Also included are subjects such as astrology, occupational health and safety, culture, heritage and conservation.
- 10 Week Duration
- Accommodation and meals six days a week (excluding Sunday)
- Transfers between camp and practical locations
- Timm Blue Uniform (T-shirts, fleece and hat)
- Course related guide books and study materials
- 4×4 Driving Training
- Classroom and practical based course
- A mixture of lectures based at Triton Dive Lodge
- Level Two First Aid Training